The Hall

raynham hall wide screen

The Hall

100 years ahead of its time, work was started on Raynham Hall in 1619 by Sir Roger Townshend. An untrained, gentleman architect who was inspired by the work of Inigo Jones, the plans and siting were highly accomplished.

Sir Roger and his master mason William Edge travelled to the Low Countries and extensively at home, bringing back to Norfolk some of the latest architectural innovations. Particularly striking are the neo-classical influences seen in the Ionic columns and the great Venetian window on the east front. The elegant Dutch style gables on the west front are a reminder that Raynham is closer to Amsterdam than to Bristol.

The extensive park of over 800 acres was laid out by his son Horatio Townshend, 1st Viscount, upon whose death it was said that Raynham Hall was “the noblest pyle among us”.

The Hall underwent significant change in the early 18th Century under the direction of the 2nd Viscount who engaged the designer William Kent. The classical design for the Marble Hall and the furniture date from around 1724 as does the cantilevered stone staircase, with walls hand-painted in situ by Kent; the same overall design scheme was re-used by Kent a few years later for King George I’s grand staircase at Kensington Palace. 

“In all England there are few more beautiful houses than Raynham – and none perhaps, that so perfectly exemplifies all that is best in English domestic architecture in the first half of the seventeenth century. Raynham is not palatial, there’s a comfortable, homely feeling about it; it is a house designed not only to be admired, but also to be loved.”

John Julius, Viscount Norwich.

Fit for A King

The King’s Bedroom

The ‘King’s Bedroom’ was designed for the visit of King Charles II in 1671. Following the later re-design by William Kent, little remains of his visit in this room; however, paintings gifted by King Charles II do hang in the Music Room.

The Belisarius Room

A highlight of any tour of the house includes the Belisarius Room. Used as the dining room for the King’s visit, the Belisarius Room (pictured) is one of the grandest rooms at Raynham. It still features many of the original Carolean furnishings.

The Noblest Pyle

The Marble Hall

With its bold black and white, chequerboard marble floor and soaring double height ceiling, the Marble Hall (pictured) is a striking space. Flooded with light from the west facing windows, the hall is home to the Raynham Recitals which take place between April and November.

The Red Saloon

A grand fire place and overmantel are the central features of the Red Saloon. A former family chapel, the room was converted by William Kent to be a principal reception room. Ancestral Townshend portraits now dominate this room with a display of C18th Townshend/Harrison armorial china, significant Kent pier tables and a beautiful suite of French style late C18th chairs. 

Raynham Hall by Michael Ridgdill Book Artwork

Raynham Hall Book

On the eve of its 400th anniversary, Raynham Hall is experiencing a renaissance. The present Marquess and Marchioness Townshend are breathing new life into our family home, which has been passed down through generation after generation.

Raynham Hall is now the focal point of an entire book devoted to its evolution as a splendid country house and the fascinating account of both the house and our family’s place in history.